The 2012 Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code (VUSBC) is the currently adopted building code for all construction in Virginia.
Codes and standards referenced by the 2012 VUSBC:
- 2012 VA Construction Code (new buildings)
- 2012 VA Rehabilitation Code (alterations in existing buildings)
- 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design
- 2012 VA Energy Conservation Code
- 2012 VA Fuel Gas Code
- 2012 VA Mechanical Code
- 2012 VA Plumbing Code
- 2011 NFPA 70 National Electrical Code
- 2010 NFPA 13 Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems
- 2010 NFPA 72 National Fire Alarm Code
- *2012 NFPA 101 Life Safety Code (Applies only to University Hospital and related patient-care buildings regulated by CMS)
Free access to NFPA standards can be found here.
Printed NFPA standards may be ordered at the same location.
Charlottesville Seismic and Climate Information
Ground Snow Load: 30 psf
Wind Exposure: Category B (unless otherwise determined by actual site conditions)
Wind Speed: 90 mph
Spectral Response Acceleration:
- Ss%g: 20.8% (unless otherwise determined by actual site conditions)
- S1%g: 6.9% (unless otherwise determined by actual site conditions)
Subject to Damage from:
- Weathering: Severe
- Frost Depth: 18” min.
- Termite: Moderate to heavy
- Decay: Slight to Moderate
Ice Shield Required: Yes
Flood Hazard: some areas yes, refer to FIRM
Climate Zone: 4
Winter Design Temperature: 16° F
Yearly Heating Days: 3963
Yearly Cooling Days: 1348
Mean Annual temperature: 56.8F
Air Freezing Index: 273
Latitude/Longitude: 38° 02’ 8.36” N / 78° 30’ 12.02” W
Note: For construction occurring in locations other than Charlottesville, please consult the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code for local conditions affecting design criteria.