Welcome! The Office of the University Building Official is responsible for administering the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code at UVA. Our core duties include:
- Perform all State-mandated duties delegated to Virginia Building Officials through the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and Code of Virginia.
- Issue building permits for new construction, renovations, demolition, and temporary structures such as stages, membrane structures, and portable buildings.
- Review drawings for conformance to applicable regulations and UVA energy and quality standards.
- Participate in the University’s Value Management process for all capital construction projects.
- Inspect buildings for compliance with fire safety requirements, accessibility guidelines, and other State building, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing codes.
- Issue certificates of occupancy for new buildings and approvals for re-occupancy after renovations.
We have an experienced team of engineers and architects that provides technical expertise related to complex design and construction issues. Regardless of the size or nature of your project, we look forward to working with you.
The University Building Official’s Office promotes a high quality, healthy, safe and accessible built environment for the UVA community by means of our on-Grounds technical expertise and professional, courteous and timely service.
To be a valued and creative partner in the ongoing physical development of the University of Virginia.
The Management Agreement between the Commonwealth of Virginia and the University of Virginia, pursuant to the Restructured Higher Education Financial and Administrative Operations Act of 2005, provides that the University designate a Building Official responsible for building code compliance.
Effective August 25, 2017, the President designated Benjamin Hays, P.E., as the University Building Official. He is responsible for:
- Issuing permits for each capital project required by the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building code to have a building permit;
- Determining the suitability for occupancy of, and issuing certifications for building occupancy for all capital projects requiring such certification.
The Management Agreement further states that Mr. Hays will report directly and exclusively to the Board of Visitors.
Previous Building Officials
- Rick Rice: July 1, 2006 – February 3, 2009
- Elaine Gall: February 4, 2009 – August 24, 2017
- Benjamin Hays: August 25, 2017 – present